Sunday 11 May 2014

Tommy Kane taught me how to cross-hatch

Cross hatching has always been a mystery to me. I disliked it as a method as I never really got it. I admired what others could do with it.

As part of SketchbookSkool's last klass (sic) this semester we had Tommy Kane teach us. His work is very detailed and he takes 3-6 hours to do a drawing (sketch, detail, watercolour and then go over with colour pencils).  That is a long time and you can guess what his homework assignment to us involved. As I mulled over the subject of my drawing, he posted an additional video in answer to comments in the class.

This one was about cross hatching as he drew a lemon in around ten minutes. That was amazing and I tried it straightaway and then once more as I finally got what he was talking about.


They are not brilliant but they are a massive step for me and I enjoyed making them!

What time is it? TEA-TIME

  • Outline
  • Flat lines for shadows
  • Turn page if need be
  • Notice darker areas even in shadows
  • Know when to stop
  • Go over outline again
  • Practice