Sunday 14 February 2016

Mark making adventures with carbon paper and acrylics

Paint the reverse painting on carbon paper with acrylic
This week's klass on SketchbookSkool's  Expressing Klass  was by Penny Dullaghan. She spoke of experimenting with mark-making and how one sentence about Paul Klee had led her to experiment with a new technique with oil paints. I won't tell you what that was as you can join the class to find out. But one sentence she said struck me - acrylics dry too quickly. Now I'm impatient.

After a bit of experimenting in the morning and then letting things burble (see last image) I ended up using acrylics as a form of masking/stencilling.

I painted a scene (remember it will be the reverse on paper) with red acrylic on carbon paper.

1. I used it without it drying too much to see ... (with pencil marks)
 

2. then darker marks using a biro
3. then used the biro to fill it in a bit - wasn't too sure about red marks tried to make some into flowers

Now that the paint was dry, I tried again for a more ghostly effect
And then again on a paper with a bad acrylic wash (very impatient)
This shows all the experiments earlier in the day