Monday 25 August 2014

learning and using one thing to drive another

Got the blues when the sketching course ended and went to the House of Illustration which made me yearn to draw even more.

With one click I signed up for 'learning how to learn' during  the second week. Week 1 taught me about focussed vs.diffuse thinking and Dali's and Edison's methods of falling asleep thinking of a problem and waking up when what they held in their hand fell to the floor and clanged to invoke diffuse thinking and hopefully solutions.

As I dozed off wondering what I should be drawing, I decided I would draw/paint the course notes. So I did the first drawing and enjoyed it.

Then the second drawing came to me when I had the urge to draw 'eat your frogs first'. By now, I was having a lot of fun. I also found that I was recalling this image when I had to get on with things.

The third drawing was notes for harnessing your inner zombie and tips re procrastination and memory. 
Strangely,  having visual metaphors helping memory made this a meta drawing for memory. I kept on visualising the pomodoro in the drawing and setting my timer to get on with eating my frogs first!
The memory palace idea of visualising my shopping list has not yet worked. I keep recalling the technique  but not actually using it!

Don't forget...to get your body out of fight or flight state, remember to breathe. 


Additional tip : Then tackle the hard thing, and drag youself away to the easy stuff if you struggle too long. This allows you to mull it over in the background. 


The assignment for the course was to present what you learned in the course in a different way which seemed perfect for a blog post for these drawings hence your seeing these in this one collection.